Friday, April 15, 2005

Alright most of you will have no idea what I'm gonna talk about, but I just spent the best night of my life.
The sonic youth fling concert was a big disappointment for SPEC, because only about 200 people showed up, but was a miracle for me, I knew the concert would be amazing, but I din't expect it to be this good.
The concert kicked off with Cat Power, who's surprisingly stunning and shy. She didn't even speak or talk to us on stage, she just kept playing from song to song without pauses. She switched from guitar to piano in the middle, still never looking at us. Her music is kinda not really fit for such a drunken college crowd waiting to rock out. It's perfect for a dark melancolic bar where you broke up with your first girlfriend, of course that's kinda bullshit, bcoz i don't even know how it feels to break up with a girlfriend. But seriously, her "sadcore dark folk" music is so graceful, sad, introspective, amazingly delicate that you need to sit down in a corner and really sink into the music heart and soul. People were kinda disappointed by her introverted style on stage and were making fun of her. I was like, what the fuck man all you tasteless fuckers.
Then citizen cope came up. He plays really fun music, it's like a mix of reggae, rock and electric. The most interesting thing is the electric keyboard sound that in my memory only appears in death metal, but the effect was pretty good actually. It didn't really have chemical reactions on me until the last song which had a Sting feel and goes like...fuck, I forgot how it goes like. I'd say the only thing left was physical excitement because of the catchy melody, beautiful keyboard loops, exciting riffs and powerful bass. But it didn't touch my soul.
Sonic Youth did. I came to appreciate how post-punk and indie rock can be so mesmerizing. Those gorgeous guitar arrangements and sound fields were simply amazing. Plus the drummer is really good too so you can rock to the music. It is redundant to say how sophisticated, experimental, gorgeous and fascinating their music is. The big surprise is how good their live act is. Man I haven't been to many rock concerts but i had to say it's hard for any other band to top what Sonic Youth has to offer on stage. One little act they always do is like, at the end of a really exciting song, everyone will let down their guitar, pose it in different weird positions and just let the sound field go on, and I had to admit that it was fucking amazing. Jim o'Rourke i guess, the only guitar player that doesn't sing, once used some random object like a drumstick to play his guitar. Lee Ronaldo was an awesome vocal and did his magic with guitar really well. Kim Gordon was one cool, cool woman who was cute when she said on stage "I think a mosquito just bit me". But the most amazing, incredible, unbelievable guy is her husband, Thurston Moore, he was like a big kid on the stage, bouncing around and doing all the "the who" genuine rock and roll moves, and he did all sorts of riduculous things on the stage...like caressing the guitar, jumping around, licking the guitar, doing random crazy solos, in the final scene he went totally crazy, he first flinged the guitar on the ground, on his back, then rubbing it against the speakers, amps, came off the stage to induce the audience into caressing the guitar with him, finally climbed up the side stage(nobody knew how he did it) and stuck the guitar right through the steel post of the stage. I mean, that's beyond music, but doesn't everyone just want to see a rock and roll star like that?
I love them, every artist tonight, I'm really grateful that they gave me such a beautiful night.
Then, I did something which I should give myself credits for. I sneaked into the back stage, it was actually very easy coz nobody actually cared about me and I spotted the drummer of Sonic Youth, Steve Shelley was flirting with Cat Power. So I went up, politely interrupted them and requested to take a picture with'em. It was then when I realized how beautiful Cat Power really is. Too bad dear Ashley didn't work it out coz my battery was dying. Damn!!!!!I want my photo with Cat Power!!!!!!!she's so gorgeous!!!!!!!!I talked to her as well, and she's really really nice and vulnerable. I guess Steve Shelley was trying to encourage her to go on and tell her to go to him anytime she needs help. This bastard, I guess he just wanted to hit on her haha. They talked to me about potential tours in China, turned out that Cat Power only went to Taiwan. And she was telling me how much she liked the budda vegetarian meals in Taiwan. She is just so sweet and vulnerable!!!!!!!!!!I'm obsessed with Cat Power now.
This is getting politically wrong, and for those of you who think I'm probably drunk now, you're wrong.
So I almost managed to take a photo with Cat Power and Steve Shelley(it's just Cat Power, nobody gives a damn to Steve Shelley anyway haha). Two kids from Temple who I met were nice enough to wait for the rest of Sonic Youths to come out. And they all did. The only picture my dying camera caught was the one with Thurston Moore, he was..oh well...not as fun as he is on stage, many people are lik that I guess. But anyway when I tried to take photos with Kim Gordon and Lee Ronalhdo the battery totallly died. Shit man!!!!!But the one I cared the most, is the Cat Power one!!!!!!!Damn!!!!!!!!!!I love her!!!!!!!!!When am I gonna see her again?
Then when I came home. My home was turned into a big party. Oh my god

leaving skool guoyandao at 9:33 PM [comment]

***


Comments:
you're just fabulous
 
Post a Comment

guoyandao
Screwed-up genius
I love: hot chicks, Nirvana, Catcher in the Rye, American Beauty, Tokyo Love Story, Little Tree, 海子, 王小波, 身边的人
I hate: hypocrites who pretend to know me, domineering assholes, rules, violence, my humorous imperfections
I wanna go back to: Semptember 1999, woodstock
I wanna meet: Belle
I wanna be: a beautiful lunatic, a rock star, a wandering poet, Brad Pitt, Arthur Rimbaud, 令狐冲, 谭嗣同


Archives

12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005


Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)



GT
Sunflower Gu
Eugene & Shirley
Rui Jie-President Scholar
Chicken Run
Yanling the hottie
Sally C
TOE
Zhu
沈猛
DJ Crystal..but she doesn't know me
方球
秋苇
丹尼妹子
书篇
临时因
四小
Debbie
Ren
姜伟岸
QQQ
四大